What is FUE?
FUE (follicular unit extraction) is a type of hair transplant surgery that involves extracting individual hair follicles from a donor part of the body, usually the sides and back of the head.
These individual follicles are then implanted in the areas that are affected. Typically, with the men suffering from male pattern baldness this will be the classic horseshoe area.
How does a FUE Hair Transplant work?
An FUE Hair Transplant works by being able to remove only the healthiest and most robust of individual hair follicles from the donor area which is most typically the back of the head, sometimes the sides.
These donor hair follicles are then transplanted one by one back into the balding areas (of the scalp for example) that are being treated.
FUE Hair Transplants have a very high success rate as each individual hair follicle is taken from areas of the scalp where there is healthy and permanent hair growth. Donor hair is often taken from the back of the head which is an area of the male scalp that is resistant to DHT (Dihydrotestosterone) which is the usual cause of balding in the front and crown of the head – also known as male pattern baldness.
When the DHT resistant hair follicle is placed in the new area, it still retains this element meaning your new hair growth should remain permanent unless it was genetically meant to fall out.
The transplanted hairs also successfully root in your recipient area as it is your own hair.
FUE Hair Transplant Surgery Breakdown:
- 1- Hairline Design
- 2- Punching
- 3- Extraction
- 4- Cleaning of Grafts
- 5- Storage of Grafts
- 6- Site Making
- 7- Graft Distribution
- 8- Placing
- 9- Post op Care
What are the FUE hair characteristics?
The characteristics of the Fue method are:
- is a process where the grafts are taken individually without damaging the cellular tissue .
- There is no incision or stitching in the area where hair is removed. In the area where the roots are taken, small abrasions of 0.6-0.7 mm are formed and these abrasions are closed in a few days and they heal without leaving a trace.
- With this technique, grafts taken from the back area of the head are used for transferring hair, as well as eyebrow, mustache and beard transfer.
- From 4,000 to 6,000 grafts can be taken depending on the average donor area and the number of roots to be implanted in a session. 1 graft can have 3 hairy bars sometimes 2, sometimes only one hair, so for example 6000 grafts mean normally 12000 hairs ; This number can go up to 18 000 hairs.
- Each graft has between 1 and 5 hairs. 1 graft hair, average 2 – 2.5 hair is accepted.
- Depending on the number and number of roots obtained, 50 – 60 hair roots per square centimeter are possible.
- This method is also preferred because it is not painful and has a short healing period after the operation.
The transplanted hairs start to fall at the end of the first month, after 2 – 3 months of hair transplantation, they start to grow out and getting longer. At 6th month hair grows giving a good image of the head. However, the best state of the hair is completed within 1 – 1.5 years after completing the adaptation process. The extracted hair won’t fall because taken from the area that is coded not to be falled. The hair comes out in the same color and of the individual hairs. We take in consideration also the present hairs, their direction and shape and the nature of the front hairline, which is important for a good result.
“The needle fue system is the system that allows maximum graft removal from the donor area (behind the two ears). The number of grafts extracted is higher because of the 0.3 mm and 0.6 mm diameter needle used by the apparatus, letting the donor area heals in 10 days. Since the graft taken from the donor area is taken in a proportional manner, the donor area will heal in a natural way without noticing the extraction”
Advantages of FUE Hair Transplant
- It does not need an incision or stitches.
- It does not result in a long linear scar in the donor area.
- Dotted scars that are formed due to FUE are far less visible than the linear scar offered by FUT.
- It does not result in much bleeding.
- It offers quick recovery with minimum discomfort.
- It can be performed to regrow hair on scars as well.
- It provides the surgeon a chance to take out only selected hair follicles.
Disadvantages of FUE Hair Transplant
- It is a quite slow process that requires a lot of time and effort of the surgeon for graft extraction.
- Transplanting a large number of grafts may require multiple sessions
- It costs more than a traditional FUT procedure.
- Graft damage rate is a little higher in case of FUE as compared to traditional strip method transplant.
- There are not many surgeons who master the technique because it is a difficult method and can only be performed well by skilful and experienced surgeons.